Saturday, August 1, 2020

Oormila Vijayakrishnan Prahlad - Visual Works


Oormila Vijayakrishnan Prahlad is a Sydney artist, poet, and improv pianist. She holds a Masters degree in English. Oormila has been painting and exhibiting for the past twenty years. Her recent poems have been published in The Ekphrastic Review, Poets Resist, Eunoia Review, Neologism Poetry, The Maier Museum of Arts Journal of Ekphrastic Poetry, and several other literary journals in the US, Canada, Australia, and the UK. She was a finalist in the Waverley Woollahra 9X5 Landscape Prize 2018. Oormila works out of a studio space in her home. She regularly performs her poetry and exhibits her paintings in Sydney.

Oormila's instagram : www.instagram.com/oormila_paintings

***

Strigidae 1-3



Author's note:
"The “Strigidae” series ( paper bits, pen, and acrylic paint) is a throwback to a time when I was recovering from a debilitating cranial nerve disorder. I was bed bound at the time. Through my window, I could see a cherry tree in which an owl would frequently roost. The found poems accompanying each piece are a reference to my struggles during my illness - I got through my ordeal by painting and writing, and subsequently made a full recovery. Strangely, the owl disappeared soon afterwards."




***

Harvest

Author's note:

"The flower motifs in “Harvest” were isolated from a single remnant piece of cloth from a sewing project - I grouped similar prints and made collages from the patterns of the cannibalised bits. There’s something captivating about repurposing waste scraps to make fresh artwork. The original cloth with its existing prints is completely transformed, its color and texture reinterpreted. Complete with found poetry, the pieces get a new and compelling life of their own."