Sunday, March 1, 2020

Jeremy Hight - Donnie Darko retold as self-help book section



Jeremy Hight is a professor of English and Creative Writing and is proud to have a text and image work in the Whitney Museum. He writes prose, poetry and critical theory and lives with his loving wife Lisa in Los Angeles





***

Donnie Darko retold as self-help book section

My name is Frank. I know what it is like to lose and to see things taken away. I know exactly how you feel. I felt it too. It hurts and things seem to break apart, but I am here to tell you

It does not have to be that way!

I have a friend Donnie. He was going to make a lot of mistakes. I knew it even when others didn’t. I know he could change things when others didn’t! You see my friend. The most permanent thing is impermanence and the most impermanent is what we perceive as permanent. Gravity is a bargain at best at your feet. Time is not 24 hours or 60 minutes or any other human bondage. It twists. It bends. It is taffy candy if you want it to be. It is a noose too if you let it be.

You too can make change!

Donnie followed my advice and lessons eventually and you can too. He was beaten down by the haters and doubters, but he took chances eventually and he changed a lot. He really did. When the plane crashed, and it first missed him he let it hit to sacrifice himself for others. He met me in a space of tunnels and worms in space and time and thought at first it was all madness, the physics not quantum but of hallucination. He was another human in the speedy machine that is society, the cold gears that are process and “progress”, the infinite regression that is human pack animal behavior. He was going to be selfish and lost but he finally followed my easy ten step program and you can too.

Only a two-week program! Costs almost nothing!

I can meet you in out of the way places at your convenience like movie theaters and will allow you to work at your own pace as long as you follow step by step. The world is not just what you see it to be. Things can change. People can change. Space and time are a kind of gelatin and there are paths forward and backwards as well as loops within it. Trust me. It will cure your acne. It will soothe your social anxiety. It might even save a life.

What is the secret?

Well my friend I can’t just appear like some rabbit beside you and give it all away! There is a process and progression. Trust me. I can tell you one secret that I learned that helped me a lot and helped my pal Donnie too. There are many possible realities that exist simultaneously and there is no distinction really between future, present and past. Time Is a jelly blob and it is near infinite halls and doors within that jiggly near opaque mass. Choices you can make are multi-directional not just lifting some weights, taking speech classes, learning a new craft. Also, you are connected to many others more than you or they know. Really. Trust me. Donny saw it. Read more to see how to contact me and to start.

(page torn out of 20 page pamphlet)